Is Every Innovation – Even If It Is A Small One?



He says: “Is every innovation - even if it is a small one - greater than the Major sins, or is there a detailed clarification?”


There is a brief answer to this: this question is wrong and is not upon the Manhaj of the Salaf. Getting involved into categorizing, setting forth parables and the counter-argumentation against some of the innovations with some of the sins is not from the Manhaj of the Salaf. The Salaf used to repel the innovation unrestrictedly, as they used to repel the sin - while considering it (i.e. the innovation) to be a sin. But their aggravation of prohibiting the innovations is a great affair! And whoever wants to enter into the topic of innovations and dividing it into major and minor [innovations] and types of innovations and other than that; he only wants the people to deem the affair of innovations to be easy. And the Prophet -salla Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam- repeated in his sittings, over and over again:

“..and every innovation is misguidance and every misguidance is in the Fire.”

So we say to this questioner: between you and us is the hadeeth of the Messenger -salla Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam-:

“..and every innovation is misguidance and every misguidance is in the Fire.”

And perhaps some of you might say: “Fine, [but] there might be minor [innovations].” I say to you: come here, come here and listen to the ahaadeeth of the Prophet -salla Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam- and to the aathaar (narrations) of the Salaf.

As for the hadeeth: those three persons, when one of them said, “I will stand [in prayer] during the night and I won't sleep.” And the second one said, “I will fast and I won't break my fast.” And the third one said, “I will not marry women.” Now, these [three persons] wanted to perform these actions, thinking that they are seeking to get closer to Allaah, the Mighty and Majestic. What did the Prophet -salla Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam- say about them? Did he say, “These affairs are insignificant and easy, but leave them, may Allaah reward you with good.”? He said,

“As for me, then I fast and I break my fast, I stand [in prayer] and I sleep and I marry women. So whoever aspires to other than my Sunnah is not from me.”

Look! “Whoever aspires to other than my Sunnah is not from me!” This is one example.

Another example from the aathaar (narrations): Ibn Mas‘ood... The people sitting in circles, what were they doing? They were glorifying Allaah (saying subhaanal-Laah), praising Allaah (saying alhamdulil-Laah), doing takbeer (saying Allaahu akbar) and doing tahleel (saying Laa ilaaha illal-Laah). Where [were they doing this]? In a disco? On a playground? In a pub? In a masjid! What did Ibn Mas‘ood, may Allaah be pleased with him, say? “By Him in Whose Hand is my soul! Either you are upon a path that is better guided than the path of Muhammad, or you are opening a door of misguidance!” He did not say, “By Allaah, your action is wrong, but it is [only] a minor innovation, may Allaah guide you, and this minor type is lesser than the major type (of innovation). So leave this affair, may Allaah bless you. And others from the people of major sins, they are greater in sin than you...” No, no, no! “Either you are upon a path that is  better guided than the path of Muhammad, or you are opening a door of misguidance!” There is no question of wobbling and covered moderation, no! Truth or falsehood! When it comes to Sunnah and innovation, it is either Truth or falsehood! This is why these words should be paid attention to, as I mentioned to you previously.